Current Positions Available:
- Legislative Specialist
North Dakota Farmers Union is currently seeking a Legislative Specialist.The primary purpose of this role is to support NDFUs policy making/legislative process and objectives, working with state government affairs and member advocacy. The Legislative specialist will also play a vital role in the development of an organizing database and subsequentproactive detailed monitoringof database components.
- Assist Legislative and Member Advocacy Director with the organizations lobbying efforts.
- Assist with government affairs activities on state issues.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key elected officials to effectively convey the priorities of the organization.
- Participate in and advise on coalitions; act as a liaison to various groups/initiatives.
- Monitor state initiatives for appropriate response.
- Coordination of advocacy activities to increase overall NDFU visibility and involvement with NDFU state board, county and local organizations, staff and members.
- Plan and prepare policy statements for NDFU BOD and BOG.
- Support the policy-making process; assist the Policy and Action Committee on issues development, policy research and discussion.
- Act as a liaison between NDFU and the Governors office, state legislators, and other state agencies in regards to policy.
- Works with NDFU Communications Department to prepare the necessary media response to various political developments/statements/editorials/letters to the editor.
- Assist in planning/conducting member political informational/training/skills enhancement meetings and workshops.
- Represent NDFU at various state meetings.
- Work with Organizational Manager on the development of the NDFU database and its ongoing maintenance.
- Maintain organizing database ensuring security, integrity and confidentiality of data.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Background in political organizations, political activities, or issue involvement
- Working knowledge of rural issues, agriculture, cooperatives and NDFU
- Skills in research, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in dealing with public media
- Strong knowledge of technology/database management and systems
- Excellent time-management skills
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelors degree in Political Science, Social Science preferred. Willing to train the right candidate with related field or comparable work experience.
Travel:This position will work out of the Jamestown NDFU State Office. There is required travel at times.
*All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.